In 2008, Phil Klotzbach and Bill Gray published a paper in Journal of Climate discussing a newly-developed Atlantic Multi-Decadal Oscillation index that utilized a combination of two predictors: 1) Sea surface temperatures (SSTs) in the far North Atlantic from 50-60°N, 50-10°W and 2) sea level pressures (SLPs) in the North Atlantic from 0-50°N, 70-10°W. At present, the index is calculated by weighing the SST component as 60% of the index and the SLP component as the remaining 40%. All values are standardized using the 1981-2010 climatological average as a baseline. Real-time monthly values are calculated from the NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis and are typically updated by the 5th of the following month.

Standardized monthly values of the Klotzbach and Gray (2008) AMO index from 1950-present are listed below:

YearJanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec
1950-0.06-0.120.090.000.940.590.650.16-0.52-0.350.32-0.15
1951-0.04-0.060.710.741.031.800.920.160.700.130.04-0.20
1952-0.450.601.310.321.431.360.811.260.831.091.211.35
19530.980.960.731.651.930.450.190.050.32-0.13-0.420.14
19540.130.250.69-0.400.870.470.420.83-0.340.16-0.04-0.09
19551.290.771.121.171.121.180.820.60-0.130.571.731.30
19561.291.131.021.39-0.05-0.480.390.100.22-0.200.15-0.03
1957-0.200.481.330.430.841.060.980.360.920.230.42-0.28
19580.691.401.680.670.711.401.401.211.11-0.100.240.60
19590.830.180.190.560.900.53-0.310.840.48-0.03-0.36-0.11
19600.580.920.730.501.110.330.570.70-0.200.880.45-0.34
1961-0.21-0.130.241.340.33-0.290.28-0.23-0.06-0.590.380.94
1962-0.33-0.351.190.120.670.150.38-0.38-0.06-0.06-0.030.28
19630.760.750.451.53-0.720.510.52-0.38-1.02-0.240.250.17
19640.521.270.82-0.370.570.85-0.260.14-0.31-0.730.110.06
19650.470.801.020.571.130.26-0.050.21-0.200.16-0.130.36
19661.521.600.791.55-0.020.10-0.070.710.680.82-0.130.37
19670.670.62-0.010.43-0.21-0.58-0.67-0.83-0.43-0.88-0.44-0.08
1968-0.160.76-0.250.20-0.02-0.10-0.61-0.24-0.400.320.780.18
19690.710.981.08-0.170.290.13-0.63-0.53-1.07-0.28-0.59-0.44
19700.95-0.470.290.28-0.38-0.94-0.88-0.40-0.34-0.58-0.41-0.20
19710.55-0.170.090.20-0.19-0.14-0.11-0.67-0.43-0.54-0.62-0.53
1972-0.39-0.58-0.61-0.45-1.18-1.62-1.32-1.23-0.68-0.79-0.80-1.10
1973-0.94-1.29-0.69-0.03-0.46-0.65-0.89-0.70-0.57-0.22-0.04-0.68
1974-0.67-0.56-0.61-1.05-0.52-0.36-1.13-1.05-1.35-1.64-0.69-1.04
1975-0.92-0.56-0.63-0.41-0.04-0.170.31-0.09-1.03-0.62-0.94-0.48
1976-0.54-0.34-0.58-0.50-0.98-0.73-0.86-0.96-0.53-0.53-0.92-0.76
1977-0.09-0.080.00-0.340.270.080.06-0.20-0.36-0.47-0.670.00
1978-0.551.18-0.010.47-0.42-1.180.02-0.67-0.38-0.57-1.030.50
19790.350.87-0.330.170.29-0.13-0.90-0.12-0.280.04-0.43-0.30
19800.230.21-0.040.111.11-0.260.070.26-0.93-0.470.56-0.27
1981-0.23-0.231.030.030.190.69-0.10-0.050.24-0.720.140.72
19820.59-0.11-0.88-0.66-0.770.01-0.53-1.11-1.34-1.12-1.75-1.91
1983-1.82-0.92-1.05-0.99-0.93-0.65-0.21-1.13-0.73-1.540.13-0.41
1984-1.43-1.42-0.96-0.29-1.00-0.970.18-0.14-0.11-1.28-0.76-1.48
1985-0.62-0.76-0.83-0.70-0.62-0.67-1.00-1.39-0.52-0.89-0.33-0.40
1986-1.18-0.33-1.51-1.21-1.06-1.46-1.26-0.70-0.03-0.88-2.07-2.01
1987-0.44-0.29-0.66-0.73-0.760.040.771.280.25-1.06-0.850.38
1988-0.63-0.65-0.380.65-0.13-0.13-0.87-0.35-0.35-0.230.520.09
1989-0.55-1.18-1.23-1.35-1.33-0.51-0.82-0.10-0.61-0.75-0.570.60
1990-1.35-1.29-1.86-2.05-0.20-1.14-0.88-1.25-0.95-0.47-0.10-0.73
1991-1.60-1.51-0.46-1.23-0.99-0.250.13-1.02-0.97-1.16-1.07-0.87
1992-0.36-0.93-1.19-1.00-1.20-0.69-0.54-2.16-2.04-0.92-1.06-1.33
1993-1.59-1.60-1.48-1.18-0.52-0.68-0.57-0.96-0.46-0.41-1.02-1.56
1994-1.59-1.36-1.46-1.85-1.09-1.58-1.72-1.27-0.840.550.22-0.97
1995-1.22-1.33-1.66-0.560.390.461.331.07-0.220.250.240.75
19960.81-0.44-0.380.430.28-0.54-1.07-0.530.950.27-0.330.42
19970.72-0.48-0.481.030.641.170.590.281.052.071.951.75
19980.450.460.050.300.220.820.860.701.770.760.430.14
1999-0.47-0.28-0.090.120.09-0.760.190.890.65-0.21-0.05-0.19
2000-0.36-1.11-0.05-0.26-0.28-1.060.430.330.90-0.790.270.31
20010.13-0.080.66-0.340.110.680.530.221.170.720.431.27
20020.75-0.03-0.40-0.76-0.89-1.24-1.46-0.400.540.990.210.83
20030.55-0.03-0.120.13-0.460.33-0.350.070.531.221.130.84
20041.320.710.14-0.09-0.75-0.35-0.110.100.090.800.740.48
2005-0.040.061.370.510.881.650.711.050.770.990.341.00
20060.720.771.010.430.710.020.341.211.801.971.140.05
20070.320.95-0.140.65-0.140.821.560.811.071.211.110.65
20080.08-0.09-0.300.201.221.070.691.430.34-0.16-0.150.06
20090.150.13-0.02-0.58-1.310.170.580.06-0.810.960.190.59
20100.531.690.651.081.341.301.171.702.611.971.812.33
20111.761.020.23-0.25-0.81-0.59-0.390.540.200.200.28-1.04
2012-0.81-0.59-0.65-0.26-0.071.501.961.670.991.690.580.67
20130.440.211.300.10-1.09-1.10-0.260.280.441.550.30-0.19
2014-0.30-0.55-1.12-0.94-1.080.08-0.261.150.670.56-0.10-1.20
2015-1.56-1.47-1.88-1.81-2.24-2.37-0.76-0.87-0.26-0.22-0.57-1.39
2016-0.86-1.72-1.74-1.64-1.43-0.32-0.070.50-0.160.250.17-0.18
2017-0.580.08-0.61-0.810.220.06-0.890.000.310.160.390.33